Recent Articles

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Complete Edition 1st impressions

*The Geek Getaway received a review copy of Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Complete Edition for PS4

Let me be honest, I have never played a No More Heroes game before playing Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Complete Edition. I have heard about Travis Touchdown as he has popped up here and there in various conversations. I also have some knowledge of the series as a whole. Luckily for me, you really don't need to be a No More Heroes lore expert to get into this game.
When you see a ramen stand, bad things are up ahead...
Right off the bat I was sucked into the game as the comic book styled logo popped up and gave me nostalgia feels as it reminded me of the 90's Marvel comics I used to read as a teen. The motion comic style opening movie was also really good at not only setting the tone but giving you the basic plot of the game. I was ready to do some beam katana slicing and dicing as the game trust me into the Death Drive MKII.
You play as either Travis or Badman, but they function identically
I wasn't expecting to play a arcade style beat-em up but there I was, doing just that. The controls were tight and Travis moved around the screen faster than any beat-em up from my youth. The beam katana needing to be recharged, special skills on cool downs, and super attacks added a bit of variety that beat-em ups rarely have. I was so engrossed with the game that I didn't hear my family call me for dinner because I was too busy laying the hurt on Electro Triple Star! Having cleared the first stage I saved the game and finally went to eat. It was a homemade double cheeseburger with gyro meat, lettuce, onions, ketchup, and mustard in case you were curious.
Travis might love ramen a bit more than I do!
I did play around with the game a bit after beating the first stage and I am really excited to see what the other Death Drive MKII games bring to the table. From my understanding each game is a different classic genre so I am curious to see how well the game pays homage to other styles of classic gameplay. The full review of Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Complete Edition should be up this weekend, so look for that if you enjoyed me talking a bit about the game. I will leave you with the same screen I saw when I last played the game.
This joke might get old eventually...

*All images are owned by their respective copyright holders and are used under fair use guidelines

Comments